This is What a Yogi Looks LikeDecember 1, 2014
Yoga is for…
Every race and ethnicity.
Every class and socioeconomic status.
Every gender identity and sexual orientation.
Every size, shape, height, weight and dis/ability.
This is what a yogi looks like.
“This is what a yogi looks like” is an effort to challenge stereotypes about who practices yoga, who should practice yoga, and what a “yoga body” looks like. Yoga is more than a “fitness trend.” Yoga is a multi-faceted practice available to all.
BUY A T-SHIRT for yourself, a friend, teacher, or family member who loves (or who could benefit from) yoga. Join us by boldly declaring, “THIS IS WHAT A YOGI LOOKS LIKE.”
Please pass it on and spread the word!
We’re in the midst of the following:
- rolling out blog and podcast interviews featuring the voices, perspectives and work of our partners, advisors and community allies in an effort to create conscious community and work collaboratively
- planning a 2015 tour with workshops, panel discussions and other community events across the United States and Canada
- developing an online symposium series as well as an online conference
- organizing a LIVE CONFERENCE in the next 18 months
Help us make a difference. ** BUY YOUR SHIRT HERE**
Tees, tanks, hoodies and long-sleeved tees available.
NOTE: Different styles offer a range of sizing options from S – 5XL
Jerzees tee: SM – XXXXXL
Kanvas ringspun tee: SM – XXXL
Gildan Long Sleeve: SM – XXXL
Gildan Hoodie: SM – XXXL
Hanes Fitted Women’s Tee: SM – XXL
Gildan Unisex tank: SM – XXL
If you need an XS, email us directly: email@example.com
Teespring ships internationally but prices are calculated in dollars. If you are having trouble, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to publicly declaring, “this is what a yogi looks like,” by wearing our shirts, we decided to set an example of what yogis look like by being the media and shooting a “diversity in yoga” public service announcement featuring over 25 yogis ranging in age from 9 months to 90 years-old.
Please share this video and spread the message of diversity in yoga. It might inspire someone to try yoga who may have felt like it wasn’t for them.
TIWAYLL is part of a fundraising effort to support the Yoga and Body Image Coalition in our mission to develop, promote and support yoga that is accessible, body positive and reflects the full range of human diversity.
And we want to feature YOU! Grab a tee, take a photo of you from the waist or chest up declaring “this is what a yogi looks like” and use hashtags #whatayogilookslike and #yogabodyimage on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (and tag us @ybicoalition). We’ll add your photos to our online album and select 3 – 5 yogis to be featured in an ongoing “This is what a yogi looks like” series in Mantra Yoga and Health throughout 2015.
To read and see more about “This is what a yogi looks like”:
- Check out the latest edition of LA Yoga Magazine on stands December 2, 2014.
- Read the editorial feature by Carmel Wroth in the January issue of Yoga Journal
- Check out the full feature in the December/January issue of Mantra Yoga and Health
Still photos taken by Sarit Z. Rogers/Sarit Photography.
Video by: Nathan Funk.
No hair stylists. No make-up artist. No fancy lighting.
No corporate sponsors. Just yogis like YOU.
Special thanks to Lynann Politte for the inspiration!