YOGA AND BODY IMAGE COALITION STRATEGIES FOR CREATING BODY POSITIVE, INCLUSIVE AND ACCESSIBLE YOGA PRACTICESDecember 28, 2016
Join Yoga & Body Image Coalition and The Mat Yoga Studio in Dallas, Texas for a unique and inclusive meditation, discussion and movement workshop led by Yoga and Body Image Coalition Leadership Team member Natalie Cummings and YBIC Community Partner Debbie Simon.
Date: May 6, 2017
Location: 18484 Preston Road | Suite 201, Dallas, TX 75252
This YBIC workshop will begin with a meditation to remove fear and open us to learn and grow as we explore. The meditation is followed by a discussion that offers yoga for marginalized groups such as people of color, larger bodies, men and LGBTQ. Yoga students and teachers alike will be empowered to experience or create a safe and welcoming yoga practice that truly is for all.
Strategies and topics include:
- Discussion about what it is like to be a marginalized person in a yoga room
- Taking a look at ego driven asana versus energetic sequencing
- Steps for yoga practitioners to take to find comfort and to be empowered to enter a safe space in a group practice
- Steps to take as yoga teachers to create a safe space that invites a transformative practice for every BODY
- Responsibilities in communication
- Allowing for time to connect
- Accessing props
- Boundaries for hands on assists
We will immediately follow with an asana practice to close with examples of language, preparation and facilitation of a safe space.
Join in a lively discussion, education and community for change.
A percentage of this workshop goes to support the grassroots work of the Yoga and Body Image Coalition. All participants will leave with a specific list of resources for continued education and asana practices from teachers recommended by the YBIC. Yoga teachers will earn CEC’s for this course.